After an accident what are my options if I received driver’s contact information but not their insurance details?

Free Insurance Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I was parked at market and a car backed into my car. I have name address, license plate # but failed to get insurance company. What are my options?

Asked September 21, 2016

1 Answer

The first thing you will want to do is determine if there is damage or injury enough to warrant making a claim. If so contact your local police department and explain to them about the accident and have them come to the scene even if the other party has left. If there is any damage or injury, file an accident report with the police and give them the contact information the other party gave to you. The police can then investigate, locate the responsible party, and obtain the insurance information for you so that you may file a claim for the damages. Don’t try to find the person responsible for the accident on your own.

Sometimes when the responsible party doesn’t offer a phone number or their insurance information it may be because they don’t have collision coverage or no insurance at all. By not, providing a contact number, you don’t have an easy way to reach them to ask for the necessary information. That is why it is important to contact the police and make a report.

In the case that you find out that the other driver doesn’t have collision on their policy or no insurance at all, you may still be able to file a claim through your own insurance company. Your insurance company will process your claim using your policy coverage as long as you have collision coverage, and will then use the information you provide them about the responsible party to recoup the amount paid out from your policy from that person.

Answered September 23, 2016 by teddyx

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption