What if we are divorced and a vehicle is in both names?

Free Insurance Comparison

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My exhusband was suppose to take my name off of a title issued by the judge, how can I find out to see if he did?

Asked January 15, 2019

1 Answer

In order to verify the name on a title, you will need the VIN number, make, and model of the vehicle. The best way to locate this information is through an old copy of the title, registration, or insurance statement. The information may also be listed in your divorce paperwork dividing joint property. Once you have located the required information, you can go to the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System website found at http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/.

On the vehicle history website, click on the “Check Vehicle History” link and you will be redirected to an approved provider list. Although these websites do charge fees, they are recommended because the websites have been verified as valid. After selecting a website, you will be asked to enter all the information you gathered earlier and pay the fee. The website will generate a report containing all the information concerning that vehicle.

Some state websites offer VIN number searches. These websites typically require the same information and provide a report without paying a fee. Since the only thing you are looking for is to ensure your name has been removed from the title, this would be the recommended search if it is available in your state. You may also be able to contact your local county clerk’s office to inquire whether your name has been removed from the title. This will vary according to office, state, and how busy the office is at the time of the call or visit.

Answered January 16, 2019 by mpreston01

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption