I burned my hand on a stove at my friend’s house. Does their homeowners insurance cover my medical expenses?

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2012Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked July 16, 2012

1 Answer

One of the things that a homeowners insurance policy is designed to do is to handle liability claims resulting from someone being injured by the home or by someone in your family. Liability coverage does not provide medical care for the family of the homeowner, but it will cover a visiting friend or relative. Additionally, some policies include what is known as medical payments, which pay for lost wages or other costs associated with the injuries.

For the family of the homeowner, coverage for injuries should be provided through a health insurance policy. But since health insurance only covers the immediate family of the policyholder, it would not be useful if you, as a friend of the family got injured at your friend's home. But since your burn was caused by your friend's property, he or she is legally responsible. That is where the home insurance policy comes in.

Homeowners liability also protects against property damage that is caused by the homeowners family or the insured property itself. For example, if the homeowner's son hit a fly ball through a neighbor's window, home insurance would pay for the damages. Likewise, if a branch falls out of a tree on the property and damages your car, then the property damage liability would pay for repair or replacement of the vehicle, up to the limits set down in the policy.

Your friend should check his policy to find out exactly what you are covered for in regards to the burn. If you are not able to perform your job as a result of the burn, you might be eligible for payments to compensate for the loss of income. The reason for that is because your loss of income is a direct result of the burn caused by the oven in the home. There may be limits on the amount of medical payments you can receive, and some policies do not include this type of coverage at all.

Answered July 16, 2012 by Anonymous

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption