In California, can I insure a car that has my mother-in-law’s name on the title

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I have a long term insurance policy and want to add a car for my teenage son. The title of the car is going to remain in my mother-in-law’s name. Is that a problem?”

Asked August 21, 2018

1 Answer

No, in the state of California that will not be an issue. You can add someone to the insurance of a vehicle they do not own or have stake in long as they are listed as a driver. Insurance companies allow people to be listed under the policy as a driver only. Meaning, the person can drive the car and be responsible but don’t initially have to own the car. You must have insurance before you get license as well. However, to get insurance, you must be listed under some vehicle. For this reason, you can just add your son to the insurance policy as a driver and keep the car title in your mother-in-law’s name. Also, by him being a teen they should understand that he/she don’t own a car yet. Of course, you would just have to tell the insurance company right away that they are a teen and just need coverage as a driver.

Answered August 23, 2018 by teddyx

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption