Can I add my son’s owned car -insured in his and my name- to my umbrella policy?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’m switching my Umbrella policy to a new company due to an incredibly high increase after an accident of one of my 24 old sons. I’m also transferring a number of cars from the existing company to the new one as a requirement to obtain the umbrella (but leaving a few at the existing company. The son with the accident -and his car, which is registered in his name but insured in both his and my name will remain at the existing company. He’s no longer part of the household -and I’m not listing him as a driver with the new insurance company- but he is allowed to stay on at the existing insurance under my policy, which gives him the benefit our my discounts.

FIRST question: Reading previous posts, is it correct that if he causes a claim that exceeds the insurance limits, I cannot be sued for anything like my personal assets over that amount? Again, I’m not the registered owner just listed next to him on the insurance.

SECOND question: Can I add that son’s car to my new umbrella policy, just to give him some coverage? Again, he and his car aren’t listed as a driver on that new company’s car policies.

Thank You.”

Asked May 13, 2016

1 Answer

If your son has an at fault accident and the claim exceeds the insurance limits, he would be responsible for the amount due over the insurance limit. The person driving the automobile is the one held liable for any payment due after the insurance company pays out their max amount. If your son was at fault for the accident and the other driver wishes to pursue a lawsuit then your son will be responsible for the lawsuit since he was the driver of the vehicle. Based on this information, you would not be responsible for the accident or payments unless you were driving his vehicle at the time. Please keep in mind that since you have moved your umbrella policy to a new company the benefits of that would not be applicable to assist your son if he exceeds the his insurance limits.

Unfortunately you are not able to add your son to your umbrella policy since he no longer resides with you and his auto is not insured with the new company. Umbrella policies cover the following people: All resident relatives, All residents in the household, under the age of 21, in the care and custody of the policy holder, Children away from the home at school, Au Pairs living in the household, and Domestic partners/significant others (where recognized by state). If your son is away at school then he may be eligible for cover under your umbrella policy already. Since your son is no longer part of the household, if he is not away at school the coverage will not apply to him. If you would like to ensure your son is covered from lawsuits or overage payments, I would highly recommend that either you or your son purchase an umbrella policy with the company where he is currently insured.

Answered May 16, 2016 by AllstatePals

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption