Can I cover my live in boyfriend on my health insurance or vice versa?

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2017Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there a time requirement for the living arrangement? Can he cover my children who live with us? We live in North Carolina.

Asked October 5, 2017

1 Answer

With the recent changes to health insurance brought forth by the Affordable Care Act, it can be difficult to know who can be covered and under what types of plans. Affordable Care Act regulations do not specifically require family plans, but many providers in States offer them to their clients.

Most commonly, family plans consist of a married couple and their children. These children do not need to be related to both parents; step-children of either parent would still qualify and just about every state and every company policy. There should be no problem for anyone in this situation to apply for family plan insurance.

In the case of unmarried couples, circumstances are a little bit different. As mentioned before the biological parent and their children can we be covered under a family plan, but a live-in boyfriend, girlfriend or a significant other does not necessarily qualify. As mentioned before there is no provision in the Affordable Care Act mandates that family plans exist in the first place, even if the couple is married. This will be a decision up to the individual insurance companies.

In most cases, insurance companies are willing to provide family plans to unmarried couples that are domestic partners. Domestic partnerships are formally recognized by California, Maine, Oregon, Washington State, and Washington, D.C. and would require the partnership to be applied for and logged with a government office.

Other states such as North Carolina do not formally recognize domestic partnerships, but insurance companies often allow for them to be considered. Each company has different requirements for domestic partners, which must be consulted individually.

Simply put, the state of North Carolina does not formally recognize domestic, nor does it provide private enterprise from recognizing it. This means any company that offers family plans is more than likely to offer these plans upon request.

Answered October 9, 2017 by PageIns

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption