Can i drop the insurance on a car i gave my son?

UPDATED: May 30, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: May 30, 2018Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

He refuses to pay insurance . He has title but not changed it to his name

Asked May 30, 2018

1 Answer

You can drop the auto insurance on the car but it certainly isn't advisable to do so. The legal owner of a vehicle is ultimately responsible if a driver of it gets into a car accident. So as long as the title is in your name you really need to keep the insurance policy on the car in force. You also need to let your insurance company know that your son is driving this vehicle.

If I were you I would get your son to change the title of the vehicle into his name as soon as possible. At that point you can contact your insurance company and cancel your insurance policy. He will be driving illegally without insurance if he refuses to purchase his own insurance policy. Like most states Alabama requires auto insurance on any car that is being used on the roads. The minimum requirement is Alabama is liability coverage which entails bodily injury coverage of $25,000 per person, $50,00 total, and $25,000 in property damage.

Answered June 1, 2018 by JDouglas

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption