Can I get tags on a car if the owner (my father) is deceased?

UPDATED: Apr 27, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Apr 27, 2017Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked April 27, 2017

1 Answer

It depends solely on whether or not you are the executor of your father's estate, your father left a will which allows you to inherit the vehicle, or there is a legal document proving that you are the owner. If all of the necessary paperwork can be provided to prove that you are now the owner of the vehicle, then yes you can get the vehicle registered in the state that you live in (assuming that it is North Carolina).

Call your local DMV and ask exactly what documents you need to bring, so that you can register the vehicle and get the tags. Just as an FYI, the insurance company will also need documentation supporting your ownership. Make sure you get the vehicle added on your insurance first, before you go to the DMV. North Carolina DMV will not register a vehicle without proof of insurance.

Answered May 1, 2017 by kdw

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption