Can I insure my sons car if he lives in a different state?

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Nov 17, 2016Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked November 17, 2016

1 Answer

Typically insurance companies in the United States do not allow you to insure cars in other states where you don't reside. Most times your drivers license address must match the address on the insurance card and the address where the car will be located. So in short no you usually cannot legally insure a car for someone who lives in a different state even if they are your family. Of course each insurance company follows their own set of rules and policies so checking with each company beforehand is the best option.

Although most companies in the U.S. do not allow this there are always exceptions to the rules. Some of those exceptions are listed below however it is still important to check with each individual insurance company.

  • Students: Often times insurance companies will understand and allow kids that go to out of state colleges to still remain on their parents insurance policy as long as they plan on moving back home once school is complete. Checking with the insurance company first is always a good idea.
  • Members of the Military: Often times servicemen and servicewomen are allowed to have their cars insured in a different state than where their permanent address is depending on where they are stationed. Each insurance company handles members of the military differently so it is important to ask.

Answered November 18, 2016 by IndyIns

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption