Can you purchase insurance for a thunderstorm?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked July 26, 2011

1 Answer

Basic homeowners insurance covers some types of storm damage without the need to purchase additional riders. An ordinary thunderstorm is generally covered under the most popular types of home insurance, including damages caused by high winds, lightning, or heavy rains. Purchasing additional coverage for thunderstorms would only be necessary if your policy specifically excluded thunderstorm damage or you needed a broader type of storm coverage such as tornado, hurricane or flood insurance.

Hurricanes are not usually covered in a basic home insurance policy, and purchasing hurricane or flood insurance may be difficult if your home is located in a high risk region. Some insurance companies will not write flood insurance policies or hurricane insurance at all, and high risk areas typically find themselves forced with purchasing their disaster coverage from a state sponsored insurance pool that all licensed insurance companies are required to contribute to. This means that you can get the necessary coverage no matter where you live, but it may cost you a great deal more if you live in an region that is prone to the disasters you are insuring against.

Flood insurance is not the same as being insured against water damage. Water damage is often included in the basic policy and pertains t such things as a broken water pipe or damaged caused by a hidden leak. Flood damage, on the other hand, is caused by water that overflow it's banks, and may include storm flooding, a failed dam or levy or the effects caused by a hurricane or other natural disaster such as an earthquake. Flood insurance must be purchased as a separate rider on your policy, unlike the lesser coverage for water damage.

Answered July 26, 2011 by Anonymous

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption