do I need insurance on a golf cart to go to a farm show?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2016Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked August 15, 2016

1 Answer

Due to their popularity, golf carts are now identified as slow moving vehicles" (SMV) in federal and state laws. The term limits the speed of the vehicle from 20 to 25 miles per hour. Golf carts that have a maximum speed in excess of the limit are considered passenger vehicles and require the same insurance as a full-sized automobile.

Golf carts must contain a "slow-moving" sign or flag that is orange. Whichever one is selected must be clearly visible at all times. Additionally, drivers must be at least 16 years of age, be licensed to drive motorized vehicles, and acquire liability insurance on the vehicle. Other states do not require the driver to be licensed, however, drivers must apply for a special golf cart license in those states.

The second part of the question is more difficult since attending farm shows would indicate the vehicle will be taken off-road. The problem is that as a motorized vehicle, golf carts are required to follow the laws that apply to all motorized vehicles on roads. They are not allowed to be driven on sidewalks or use bike lanes. Due to minimum speed limits on highways and freeways, they are not allowed on those roadways either. As such, it would seem that the cart could be driven to a farm show, but would need to be parked in the designated parking area provided for other types of motorized vehicles. With that in mind it's important to remember that regardless of where a golf cart is driven in Iowa, insurance is required.""

Answered August 17, 2016 by pcspecial

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption