Do you need insurance on the car if you don’t drive it?

UPDATED: Apr 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Apr 27, 2011Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked April 27, 2011

1 Answer

In some states, such as Florida and Georgia, you are required to carry insurance on any registered vehicle. Even if the vehicle is being restored or is otherwise not drivable, it must carry state minimum insurance. In some states, special insurance is available for cars that are not being driven, while other states except non-driven vehicles from insurance requirements completely. Some states will allow you to drop coverage on a vehicle you are not driving, but you must surrender the tag and registration to qualify for the exemption.

Contact your state's motor vehicle division or highway patrol office and find out what the requirements are for your area. If the vehicle must be insured, you may want to look into auto insurance based on mileage, which would keep the cost of insuring the vehicle at a minimum while providing you with property and bodily injury protection. Contacting the local tag office is generally the easiest way to find out what vehicles must have insurance, and which ones are exempt. In some states, vehicles that are used entirely in farming and other occupations are exempt from insurance as long as they are not used on public roads, other than to cross from one private property to another.

If the vehicle is being financed, you are probably required to maintain certain coverages or forfeit the lease or loan. This includes GAP insurance to cover the financed amount to the dealership, as well as state minimum liability or collision coverage. Whether you are driving the vehicle or not, having sufficient insurance to cover it against burglary or vandalism is important for your own peace of mind.

Answered April 27, 2011 by Anonymous

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption