garaged/stored vehicle in Florida 8 months per year can I remove insurance coverage?

Free Insurance Comparison

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked February 13, 2019

1 Answer

If you have a car registered in Florida the state requires that you maintain an auto insurance policy on it regardless of whether it's in storage or being driven. The policy needs to be purchased through an insurance agent that is licensed in that state. This includes insurance agents in Florida or an agent in another state that is licensed to do business in Florida as well their own.

If you don't maintain insurance on a vehicle in Florida the penalties can include the suspension of your driver's license as well as your car's license plate and registration. These suspensions last three years or until such time as you prove to the state you have an insurance policy in place.

The only way around this is to surrender both your license plate and registration before you leave Florida. You turn these in at a local tax collector office or driver's license location. This allows you to cancel the insurance policy on the car. Once you're back in Florida and want to drive the car you need to buy an insurance policy and then register your car again with the state.

You may want to ask your insurance agent if pleasure use insurance is an option for you.

Answered February 15, 2019 by Whitt

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption