Does homeowners insurance cover property damage done by your kids?

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Aug 16, 2011Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked August 16, 2011

1 Answer

Generally, your homeowners insurance should cover any property damage done by your kids. This may or may not include intentional destruction, according to how your policy is written and the type damage incurred. Your insurance may cover personal items that are accidentally broken inside the home, damages done by other people's children or accidents that happen to children while on your property. Your insurance should be adjusted to encompass the value of your belongings.

Some structures may even be included such as sheds, or your garage even if the structure was an add-on. Your swimming pool, or elaborate tree house for your children for instance may also be covered. If it does not state that damages by children are covered in your policy, you may want to discuss with your agent the possibility of extra coverage to include this kind of damages. If your carrier does not offer the kind of coverage you need for your family do not be afraid to shop around.

Not only are damages to the property covered, but if your child sustains injuries on the property, such as getting a serious cut when a window breaks, the bodily injury liability portion of your homeowners policy will cover that as well. As long as you do not file an excessive number of claims due to damages caused by your children, the insurance policy will cover you, but if the claims become to frequent or expensive you may run into problem with the insurance company or even be faced with being dropped by your insurance company and forced to find another one.

Answered August 16, 2011 by Anonymous

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption