Does my homeowners insurance protect me from claims while I’m away on vacation?

UPDATED: May 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: May 1, 2012Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked May 1, 2012

1 Answer

Owning a home does not mean you have to be tied to your property. When you are away, the home is still protected, and many policies extend coverage to your possessions when you are away from home. The final decision will depend on how your policy is worded, but the definition of personal property is not limited to items in your home.

There are several basic types of home insurance, but liability coverages are part of all standard home insurance policies. Whether you rent an apartment or own the entire building, your home insurance will protect you against bodily injury and damage claims even when you are not present at the time.

Home insurance does not cover injuries or damages to your immediate family or property, nor does it apply to liability claims filed against in some other location. For your family's medical needs, health insurance is the coverage, and a multi-purpose liability policy, such as an umbrella policy, will provide you with liability coverage no matter where you go. Another advantage of an umbrella policy is that it extends your liability coverage over different insurance policies to give you more coverage at a lower cost.

If a tree in your yard falls on a neighbor's house or car while you are on vacation, your policy will still cover the claim. As long as the claim is able to show that is something which was covered on the policy was responsible for the damages or injuries, your home policy will pay for them. An adjuster will appraise the damages and verify the damage reports whether you are on hand or in another country.

Answered May 1, 2012 by Anonymous

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption