How can I get car insurance in Pennsylvania with out of state tags?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2012Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked October 1, 2012

1 Answer

Individual auto insurance is purchased in the state in which the vehicle is registered. For instance, if you live in Georgia and then move to Pennsylvania, you would have to buy a new car insurance policy once the move is complete. Most states require you to transfer your registration and insurance within 30 days of moving to a new state, but the specific requirements vary from one state to another.

Insurance, even car insurance, is regulated at the state level. That means that Pennsylvania will have different car insurance requirements than other states, and your out of state tags must be traded in for PA tags in order to purchase a car insurance policy in the state. If you live in another state, you can still drive your car in PA with out of state tags and insurance, but you will have to change it over if you decide to become a Pennsylvania resident.

Before applying for new insurance, be sure to get your driver license and vehicle registration transferred. You will not be allowed to purchase car insurance in Pennsylvania until you have transferred your vehicle registration. Insurance companies check the registration as part of the application process, and will not issue PA insurance to a vehicle with out of state tags and registration, even if you have already moved to the state.

Unless you have moved to Pennsylvania, your car insurance from another state will be acceptable in PA. If you are involved in an accident in Pennsylvania, your insurance policy will cover the claims. If Pennsylvania law requires you to have more coverage than your state of residence, your insurance company will honor the minimum PA requirements. You will only have to have Pennsylvania-specific coverage when you are a legal resident of the state.

Answered October 1, 2012 by Anonymous

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption