My car burnt in friends garage who pays for repairs?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2016Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked September 6, 2016

1 Answer

If your car caught on fire and was destroyed while parked in a friend's garage, the first thing you need to do is contact your insurance agent that handles your automobile insurance policy. Whether or not that policy will cover the cost of replacing the car will largely be determined by the exact type of policy that you have. For example, if you carry full coverage on the vehicle, there is no reason why your automobile insurance policy should not pay for the loss of the car. You can expect to be paid the Blue Book value for the automobile, based on its make and model. However, if you only carry liability insurance, there is virtually no chance that you will see anything from the company that insures your automobile. In this case, it might be possible to be reimbursed through your friend’s homeowners insurance policy, though it could be a long and tedious process.

If you have to take that route, the best thing that you can do is set up a time where both you and your friend can speak with his or her insurance agent in order to determine whether or not you have any options available to you. It can be difficult when it comes to something like this, especially because the automobile does not belong to the individual who owns the home. However, it is definitely worth speaking with an insurance agent that can give you some specific numbers based on the amount of damage that was done to the garage and the rest of the home as well as its contents. If your friend is willing to take part of the funds that were awarded for the damage in order to help you replace your vehicle, the entire process will go much more quickly. If he or she is not willing, it might be a situation where you end up going to court before anything is resolved.

As previously stated, this can be a tricky situation and a lot of it depends on the exact type of policies that are in place and how much damage occurred to specific items. Your first course of action is to contact your insurance agent that handles your auto policy and your second course of action is for you and your friend to contact the company that represents the homeowners insurance policy. If you don't have any success getting your auto policy to pay for the damages, you have no recourse but to attempt to get the homeowners insurance policy to cover your losses.

Answered September 7, 2016 by Figgy

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption