If I got a ticket for a car accident, totaled car, will gap still pay out the difference?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2016Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked July 12, 2016

1 Answer

It all depends on your situation. Traditionally, GAP insurance will cover damages that are up to $50,000. If you don't have any sort of primary insurance, then GAP will cover the damages. These damages extend to the loss of your vehicle, at the time of the accident. They will also factor in the retail value of the car.

What if I have an outstanding loan left to pay on my car? Yes. They will cover that too. They will only cover up to $50,000. It's best to speak to a GAP representative about it. Every coverage is different. Things vary from state to state. What is covered here in Ohio might not be covered in New York.

If you can afford to still pay off your loans, at the time of your accident, then please do so. Don't rely on GAP covering this completely. Your policy with them might not even include any outstanding loans.

Answered July 13, 2016 by RedTicker

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption