what are the steps to transfer title to my daughter who moved from PA to FL?

UPDATED: May 30, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked May 30, 2018

1 Answer

What is the title transfer process? When transferring the ownership of a vehicle between states, you must inform the equivalent of the department of motor vehicles for both states of your intentions by contacting the closest DMV branch. For Florida, visit the Florida State DMV Offices page for office location details. For Pennsylvania, visit the Locations Info Center page. Pennsylvania's Department of Transportation, known as PennDOT, provides several resources to help new residents transfer a title to PA from out of state including the How to Title and Register Your Out-of-State Vehicle in Pennsylvania fact sheet and the Buying or Selling a Vehicle page. As noted by PennDOT, you and your daughter must both appear in-person before a notary or tag service agent to transfer the title. If the car is under any sort of financing program, then you must also inform the lienholder and proceed as outlined per the terms of your contract for title transfers.

Since your daughter has moved to Florida with a car that has a Pennsylvania title and registration, she will now need a Florida vehicle registration and title for her car. She will also need new FL license plates.
Your daughter should go to the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles and get a Form HSMV 82040. This is the application for Certificate of Title With or Without Registration. She will need vehicle ownership documents including her original Pennsylvania title.
She requires proof of Florida Car Insurance. She can show an insurance card or a certificate of insurance or she can complete Form HSMV 83330, the Florida Insurance Affidavit.

She can either complete Vehicle Identification Number VIN verification in person at the department or get the vehicle identification number odometer verification done by one from the list of people mentioned in Form HSMV 82042.

She will have to pay the title transfer costs. The title transfer fees payable are the $85.25 Out- of- state vehicle transfer fee for an electronic transfer, $2 lien recording fee, $225 new to FL vehicle fee, and $2.50 towards paper title mail/ print fee. She will also need to pay fees for registration and for a new registration plate. This fee will depend on the weight of the vehicle and the type of registration plate.

Finally, she will need to pay the fees and submit paperwork to the county tax collector's office in person or by mail. She can order a paper title by submitting an application for title. Paper titles are sent within five days of the title application.

Answered June 1, 2018 by fl_pc

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption