Will insurance company pay me if my car was insured but not registered?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2018Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Someone hit me totaled my car he was at fault will his ins pay me if my car was insured but not registered yet in my name?

Asked April 11, 2018

1 Answer

While the state of Connecticut may fine you and even imprison you for up to 90 days for not registering your car, the insurance company will not enforce that law for them. As long as you were insured at the time of the accident and you are not at fault, the other driver's insurance company should pay the claim.

You should, however, register your car immediately with the state. While the insurance company cannot refuse to pay based on the registration of your vehicle, they can report to the state that your vehicle was not registered. It will be much better for you if you remedy the situation yourself first.

The state of Connecticut is very strict about your car being registered in the state if it is your primary residence. This is due to the car tax that they press onto their residents. However, your vehicle registration has nothing to do with your insurance coverage.

If you have additional questions or the insurance company is refusing to pay, contact a lawyer for assistance. An attorney can ensure that you are paid either by the company or by the driver for your damages and medical bills.

Answered April 16, 2018 by crobinson

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption