Add driver who only has foreign DL

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2016Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

HiMy wife is living in Tijuana and doesn’t have US drive license, can I put her into my policy?

Asked March 29, 2016

1 Answer

Most insurance companies insist that all people in the household be included on the car insurance policy. Why? Well, an uninsured family member driving the car could cause a major financial catastrophe, if they are involved in an automobile accident. All family members that have access to your car, should be included on a car insurance policy. This includes a spouse that does not live at the household full time or one that does not have a US driver's license. However, if the spouse does not have access to your vehicle, and does not live in the household, it is a completely different ballgame. Here are questions to consider; Does your spouse have access to your car at anytime? Does she live in the household at anytime? These are questions that an insurance company will ask before making a decision. It is best to contact an insurance company or insurance agent in your state to determine the updated rules concerning spouses that live in a different country.

Let's take a look at it this similar scenario; A man has a wife that works part of the year in Canada. She does not have a US driver's license. However, she lives with the family for several months out of the year. Of course, you would include her on the car insurance policy. If the spouse lives in the household, and has access to your car, they should be included on the policy.

Answered April 4, 2016 by teddyx

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption