Adjuster won’t pay dealership repair price. What are my options?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Hello i’m asking for a little advice please if u could answer a few questions. I currently have a open claim and a adjuster came out to assess the damage on my truck its under collision just myself involved snowstorm slid hit a curb. I took my truck to a dealership instead of insurances auto shops. They did an estimate it was under my deductible then adjuster told me a few days later they found more damage. At this point nothing has been paid. Then adjuster says i need my frame replaced but wont pay what dealership is charging 119 dollars hour compared to there shops 49 dollars an hour wanted me to pay the difference. Can they even do this i thought by law i had the choice to take the vehicle where i want. Dealership told me they have paid that rate before with no problems but there not doing it for me. I asked for this current estimate, i want to see the report i disagree with there estimate on replacing the frame how did they figure that i want to know. Replacing a frame is several thousands it seems to me that would be a total loss. My truck bluebook fairmarket value is under 11500. I dont believe there estimate is right and i’m not going to pay the difference of labor charges and adjuster has not shown me this report or estimate so were at a stop. Its been 19 days my truck has not even been touched yet is there anything i could do? I cant afford to fix thats why i filed a claim i have collision insurance.”

Asked April 7, 2016

1 Answer

Generally, you have the right to go to any dealership you choose to take care of the damage your car has sustained. The insurance adjuster will try to persuade you to visit one of their repair shops. This is simply because the insurance company has made a deal for discounted parts and labor.

You should try to find out why the insurance adjuster is asking you to pay the difference. The insurance company is obligated to pay the entire repair cost no matter where you go, but this can change if the insurance company believes that your repair cost was inflated. Talk to the insurance adjuster to find out if he or she is asking you to pay the difference for this reason. You should be prepared to talk the insurance company should the adjuster not provide you with a reasonable answer.

You should also make sure that the dealership you are considering provides proof that the parts and labor are priced adequately in accordance to the area in which you live. This information should go a long way in proving that you are not paying more than you would in another local auto shop.

But do not pay for anything until you are sure that the insurance company does not believe you are over-paying because the insurance company can deny to pay the total cost of repairs.

You should also know that the insurance company is going to take weeks or months before they pay you what is owed if you choose your own repair shop--instead of using theirs. The bottom line is that you will need to be patient, but that does not mean you should not make sure you understand the whole process. Be sure to jot down everything that you agree to, and do not forget any names.

It is also possible that you might need to seek representation to ensure that you are given what you deserve. Do not forget that most insurance companies offer a diminished value claim, which you are entitled to. This claim is separate and should reimburse you for any overall loss that you might have taken. The amount depends on the difference between what your car is valued prior to the accident and its new diminished value.

Answered April 11, 2016 by Figgy

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption