Can my car be insured in another state and have Louisiana plates

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Jul 25, 2017Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My daughter is moving to New Orleans. She is still on my auto policy in Colorado. Can she have Louisiana plates and be covered on my policy?

Asked July 25, 2017

1 Answer

I regret to inform you that the answer is unfortunately no. Once in Louisiana, your daughter will have only 30 days to register the vehicle. This process requires that the vehicle be insured within the state. When your children move to another state, they will usually have to become insured in that state. This is dude to the fact that many states hold different requirements for insurance. For instance, if she were to get pulled over and have the previous states required minimum, it still may be under the current states required minimum. This could result in a large fine. Another thing you need to be aware of is that she will have to pay a late fee if the vehicle is not registered within the given 30 days. In order to deal with this and to avoid any other misunderstandings, I suggest going over to for more information.

Answered July 26, 2017 by Figgy

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption