i carried a sr22 in nevada for a dui i got there in 2013, do i have to carry one in ia.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i have moved to iowa from nevada and am wondering if a dui i got in 2013 in nevada requires me to carry the sr 22 in iowa. my insurance from nevada expires in two months and has the sr22 attached. i am looking for a new policy in iowa and want to know if i have to carry the sr22 in iowa, thank you, michael”

Asked June 30, 2015

1 Answer

If you are required to maintain verification of vehicle insurance in Nevada in the form of an SR-22, then that responsibility will need to be fulfilled even if moving out of state. The insurance company that originally filed the SR-22 is required to notify the State of Nevada when insurance coverage is cancelled, in the form of an SR-26. If a new insurance policy has not been secured first, along with the filing of a new SR-22, it will be considered a violation of the requirements and appropriate action will be enforced by the State of Nevada. This may include license suspension or the invalidation of the current SR-22 and reissuing of a new SR-22 order. Your will not receive credit for any partial time requirements that have been fulfilled under the original SR-22.

Therefore, it is extremely important that you do not allow cancellation or lapse in coverage before securing a new policy and before a new SR-22 form has been filed with Nevada by the new insurance company. Furthermore, Iowa is a state that does require SR-22 filing; therefore, it may be necessary to have the new insurance company file a second SR-22 with that state as well. Additionally, you are required to maintain at least the minimum coverage requirements that were issued in Nevada under the SR-22 order.

Answered June 30, 2015 by Anonymous

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption