I have bad credit. How can I find affordable homeowners insurance?
Free Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Asked June 9, 2014
Having bad credit can make finding affordable homeowners insurance challenging, but there are still ways to obtain coverage. Here are the six steps you can take to find affordable homeowners insurance:
- Shop around: It's essential to compare quotes from multiple insurance providers before choosing a policy. Different companies have different underwriting criteria, which means that you may get varying rates from each provider. You can use online comparison tools to get quotes from multiple insurers and compare coverage options.
- Look for discounts: Many insurance providers offer discounts for various reasons, such as bundling your home and auto insurance or installing safety features like smoke alarms and security systems. Make sure to ask your insurance provider about any available discounts.
- Consider a higher deductible: Raising your deductible can lower your monthly insurance premiums. However, be aware that this means you'll have to pay more out of pocket if you need to file a claim.
- Improve your credit score: While this isn't a quick fix, improving your credit score can help you obtain better rates over time. Some ways to improve your credit score include paying bills on time, keeping credit card balances low, and disputing any errors on your credit report.
- Work with a local insurance agent: Local insurance agents have in-depth knowledge of the insurance market in your area and can help you find the best coverage options. They may also be able to connect you with insurance providers that specialize in working with customers with bad credit.
- Consider state-run insurance programs: Some states offer homeowners insurance programs for those who have trouble obtaining coverage in the private market. While these programs may be more expensive, they may be a good option if you can't find affordable coverage elsewhere.
Answered June 9, 2014 by Anonymous