What if msd pays a settlement on sewer back up after insurance paid?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2018Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked March 7, 2018

1 Answer

When you live in greater Cincinnati and the sewer system backs up and causes damage to your property, you have five primary options for claims: You can submit a claim to your rental or homeowner's insurance company. You can submit a claim to the Metropolitan Sewer District's Sewer Backup Response program. You can pursue a Federal Court review after an MSD SBU settlement offer. You can pursue the matter without submitting a claim to the MSD SBU program through the Hamilton County Municipal Court or the Court of Common Pleas. You can combine submitting your claim through your insurance company and one or more of the other options, as dictated by the option you pick.

It's important to note that the Metropolitan Sewer District's Sewer Backup Response program only covers your insurance deductible and the difference between what your insurance company is willing to pay out on a claim (i.e. their reimbursement limit for eligible property damages) and the amount of the eligible damages as determined by an SBU program claims adjuster and a legal reviewer. This means that the SBU program claim adjuster adds the insurance deductible to the total amount that they've determined applies to your specific case and subtracts the amount that your insurer would likely pay before submitting their proposed settlement for legal review.

Even if you never file a claim with your insurer, the claims adjuster determines from the insurance company how much you would have received and subtracts that amount, excluding your insurance deductible, from the final SBU program settlement payout. If you're uncertain about whether this process was handled correctly after your insurance company pays on your claim, you can check with a representative at the Metropolitan Sewer District SBU program claims assistance office at (513) 244-5100 to confirm that you received the correct settlement amount. An SBU program claims representative can pull up your file and provide you with the specific details about your case.

Answered March 8, 2018 by RedTicker

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption