will a window air conditioner raise my insurance rates?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2017Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked February 13, 2017

1 Answer

Homeowner insurance policies vary according to the amount and type of property covered, and a window air conditioning unit may be included within the policy. The cost of the coverage will depend upon how the unit is covered within the policy and the type of loss that might be expected. While there is generally no more cost for covering a window unit than a full HVAC unit, the homeowner might wish to purchase additional coverage over the standard policy.

When a window air conditioner unit is covered within the homeowner’s property policy, it has limited coverage. If the unit is stolen, it will be covered on most policies under the vandalism section of the policy, and it is important for the owner to understand how much total coverage of all items they have in this section. The full cost within the standard policy to replace it may not be covered, or the deductible may be more than a replacement unit would cost.

Home losses for fire or weather events may be part of a policy, and a window unit is often covered under those circumstances. They are grouped as part of the complete home without extra cost, but coverage may be limited. It is important to check the policy to see the limits of damage as well as the deductible, and the homeowner may decide to pay for more coverage.

Individual personal property coverage is for items not covered in a home policy, and these do cost extra money because they are a separate policy. If it appears there will not be enough coverage for a window unit within a standard policy, it might be best to purchase this additional coverage in case of loss.

Answered February 13, 2017 by fl_pc

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption