Determining Fault in a Multiple Car Accident

Determining fault in a multiple car accident is done by the insurance adjuster. Each driver’s insurance company will assign their own adjusters to the claim, and each will investigate the police report, witness and driver testimony, and more to determine fault in a multiple car accident. If you live in an at-fault state, it is likely a portion of the fault will be applied to each driver. Learn more in our guide below.

Free Insurance Comparison

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Chris Tepedino is a feature writer that has written extensively about home, life, and car insurance for numerous websites. He has a college degree in communication from the University of Tennessee and has experience reporting, researching investigative pieces, and crafting detailed, data-driven features. His works have been featured on CB Blog Nation, Flow Words, Healing Law, WIBW Kansas, and C...

Full Bio →

Written by Chris Tepedino
Insurance Feature Writer Chris Tepedino

Laura Walker graduated college with a BS in Criminal Justice with a minor in Political Science. She married her husband and began working in the family insurance business in 2005. She became a licensed agent and wrote P&C business focusing on personal lines insurance for 10 years. Laura serviced existing business and wrote new business. She now uses her insurance background to help educate...

Full Bio →

Reviewed by Laura Walker
Former Licensed Agent Laura Walker

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by insurance experts.

When you are involved in an accident that involves three or more vehicles, it might be confusing to determine who is at fault. In most states, there are simple rules in place to determine who is at fault, but it comes down to the problem of who caused the pileup to begin.

Determining who is at fault is really a simple matter, even in a multi-car accident, and can be decided by asking all of the drivers involved one simple question.

Who is at fault is almost always the person in the rear of the accident. What happens is that one driver runs into the back of another one, and that person’s car is forced forward into the car in front of them. Since only the car that started the chain reaction is at fault, they would be charged with the entire accident.

In some states, especially those which use Personal Injury Protection, the fault in an accident may be divided between two or more of the drivers
involved. In this situation, the amount of fault will be determined by the police officer who writes the report or by the insurance adjusters, negotiating for an optimum solution.

For example, one person may be deemed to be 80 percent at fault, while another driver takes the remaining 20 percent of the blame. It is possible for several people to share in the fault, and everyone involved may share some of the responsibility.

If you were deemed to be at fault in the accident, you have the right to challenge the decision. Contact your insurance company and explain your position on the matter. If you are able to make a convincing point, your amount of fault could be reduced or completely thrown out of the equation. Before you challenge the ruling, though, make sure that you have a valid
point, because trying to pass the blame on when it is really your fault could land you in court on fraud charges.

About the Author: Terry Wood is a writer for US Insurance Agents. She works hard to help provide a fresh perpsective to insurance, personal finance and related topics.


Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption