How to Find an Insurance Lawyer
How to find an insurance lawyer starts with referrals from friends, neighbors, and those you trust who have experience with the legal system. There are also free legal aid firms and pre-paid legal services you can take advantage of. Read our guide to learn more about selecting the best insurance lawyer near you.
Free Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Nov 8, 2020
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by insurance experts.
When you are facing an issue with your insurance company, it can be quite a difficult task engaging them in legal battles on your own. Whether it is a case involving your car insurance, health insurance, workers compensation or other type of insurance, you are better of hiring an insurance lawyer. The following are some tips on finding an insurance attorney.
If you know a lawyer in your neighborhood, he may be willing to refer you to a good insurance lawyer. You can also seek referrals from friends, colleagues and employers.
Certified Lawyer Referrals
A state bar certified attorney referral service refers people to attorneys. First, the service officials will interview you before matching you with an experience lawyer who deals with the type of situation you are facing. These services usually charge a small consultation fee.
One advantage with state bar certified attorney referral services is that they are required to meet certain standards; therefore, if you are unsatisfied by their services you can file a claim. The following are some of the operating rules for certified attorney referral services:
- They should refer you to an attorney who is experienced in the category of law in question- in this case insurance law.
- They should refer you to insured attorneys. All lawyers who are part of the referral service must have malpractice insurance. This type of insurance protects the client against the wrongful acts of their attorney.
- They should serve clients who have limited means. This means the referral service can arrange to get you an attorney whom you are able to afford.
- They should be able to offer you a lawyer who is bilingual.
The internet, yellow pages and newspaper advertisements are good sources for looking for an attorney. Most attorneys list their names and contact details on the yellow pages and magazines. Some also advertise on radio, television, billboards and the internet. The difficult aspect of searching for lawyers through advertisements is that you have to go through the exhausting task of sorting through a huge list before you settle for one you feel comfortable with. Moreover, there is the high cost of having to call and visit different offices before you find the appropriate lawyer for your case.
Joint Advertising Associations
Some lawyers join together to market their services as one group. This group will share one telephone number or website. According to State law, joint advertising groups should identify all the participating lawyers by name.
Public Interest Groups
Nonprofit organizations like those involved with housing discrimination and civil liberties can help you find a reliable insurance attorney. These organizations have lawyers who deal with their cases and could refer one to you. You can find nonprofit organizations by contacting a government agency, local bar association or state bar certified attorney.
Client-Attorney Bulletin Boards
When looking for a lawyer through client/attorney bulletin boards, you are required to post a description of your case on the organization’s website. Attorneys who are members of the service will bid on your case. The choice of a lawyer will be left to you.
Free Legal Aid Firms
If you are not financially capable of paying for a lawyer, you can have free or low cost legal services. Your local bar association or state bar certified attorney services can direct you to such free legal services.
Prepaid Legal Services
If you are part of a legal insurance arrangement through your labor union, employer, Credit Card Company or credit union, your plan may be covering the kind of legal case you are facing. Similar to the way medical insurance can pay for certain medical costs, the kind of insurance you have may afford you legal assistance.
Finding the Right Lawyer for Your Needs
The issues around insurance are varied and there are many different lawyers for each of these isolated incidences.
- Personal Injury Lawyers – handle all kinds of personal injury cases
- Auto Accident Lawyers – handle cases involving car accidents and insurance claims
- Workers Compensation Lawyers – handle cases involving injuries sustained at work
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers – handle cases involving claims against medical practitioners and hospitals
- Disability Attorneys / Social Security Disability Lawyers – handle cases where an individual claims disability damages from the SSA. Long Term Disability Lawyers- handle private disability insurance cases.
Compare The Best Insurance Quotes In The Country
Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Selecting the Best Insurance Lawyer
There are certain considerations to make before you hire a lawyer to ensure you find the best possible candidate for the job:
- Before you hire a lawyer to represent you, it is important that you review their credentials. Determine whether they are licensed to practice, whether they are partners in a firm or whether they haven’t achieved partner status. These details which most people tend to ignore usually have a bearing on the personality of a lawyer and their potential to deliver good results.
- You must determine the experience of the lawyer you are hiring. It is advisable to go with an attorney who has dealt with several cases that were similar to yours and that he emerged victorious in most of these cases
- You need to consider the reputation of the attorney. Go for a professional with a good track record and a high standing in the legal community
- Last but not least you need to find a lawyer whom you are able to relate with. A person who puts your interests at heart and is not solely determined to build their reputation through your case.First of all, you should pick a lawyer who is sympathetic to your financial position or rather one you are able to afford. It is also important that you and your attorney are able to communicate freely and make decisions together on how to proceed with your case.