Medjet Air Medical Transport Review & Ratings (2022)
Medjet isn’t another travel insurance company. Instead, they offer medical transport coverage in case you are injured or become ill while traveling more than 150 miles from home. With a Medjet membership, you can transfer back home without going through the hassle of fighting doctors and insurance companies. Medjet reviews are mostly positive, even though customers rarely use their membership benefits.
Free Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jan 3, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by insurance experts.
- Unlike traditional travel insurance, Medjet offers memberships that guarantee medical transport home after injury or illness during a trip
- You can choose MedjetAssist, which covers medical transport, or MedjetHorizon, which will get you home for reasons like natural disasters or political unrest
- There are several MedjetAssist plans to choose from to fit your travel plans
Whether for work or vacation, traveling has an air of excitement about it. It also keeps you busy – you need to figure out where to stay, what to pack, how to get there, and what you’ll do once you’ve arrived.
One of the last things you want to worry about is insurance. In fact, many people don’t know that travel insurance is something they can purchase. However, getting coverage while you’re away can give you peace of mind.
Medjet doesn’t offer your standard travel health insurance. Instead, this Alabama-based company provides medical emergency transport and security services while you travel.
Since Medjet doesn’t provide traditional travel insurance, you should still shop for quotes if you want your entire trip covered. Enter your ZIP code into our free tool to see what quotes might look like for you.
What is MedjetAssist?
If the worst happens and you are injured or become seriously ill on a trip, your insurance should kick in and get you to a hospital.
While travel insurance is the best coverage to have on a trip, business travel policies, health insurance plans, and credit card travel benefits might cover you abroad.
You’ll be brought to the nearest hospital for treatment in an emergency. Whatever coverage you have will want you to stay in that hospital if it can provide necessary treatment. If it can’t, you’ll be transported to the nearest hospital that can.
This is when MedjetAssist kicks in. After you’re stable, Medjet Assist lets you decide if you want to stay put or transfer to a hospital at home. Mike Hallman, who owns Medjet, states that the purpose of MedjetAssist is to get you home and help your loved ones reach you.
MedjetAssist isn’t insurance. Instead, you pay for a period of membership of your choosing. Buying membership into the program eliminates the headache of a claims process or post-transport paperwork.
MedjetAssist is valuable for domestic and international travel. The U.S. government does not pay for any medical expenses, including getting you home. Having Medjet in emergencies can be a blessing.
What are the benefits of MedjetAssist?
One of the biggest advantages of membership with MedjetAssist is that you don’t have to recover in a hospital far from home. As long as you’ve traveled more than 150 miles from home, MedjetAssist will get you into a hospital of your choosing.
Benefits for MedjetAssist include:
- Paid transport. MedjetAssist pays for the entire trip back home, from the moment you leave one hospital until you arrive at the next.
- Transfer assistance. Medjet is ready to handle transfer paperwork for you so that you can focus on healing. They also streamline the transfer process.
- Medical consultation. You’ll have access to doctors and medical professionals by phone if you become ill or injured on a trip.
- Easy access. As long as you’re under 75, you don’t need a medical review to enroll. There are no claim forms, medical cost caps, or preexisting conditions/adventure travel exclusions.
- Translation services. MedjetAssist has translators waiting to help in emergencies over the phone.
- Transfer of remains. If the worst happens, Medjet will handle the return of a deceased body.
MedjetAssist isn’t a one-size-fits-all plan. There are several available options to choose from to fit your unique needs.
What plans does MedjetAssist offer?
MedjetAssist has seven plans to choose from, each of which offers unique benefits based on your needs.
- Annual Membership. For individuals or families under the age of 75, this plan is available to residents of Mexico, Canada, and the U.S. Coverage works for international trips of 90 days or shorter. There is no limit to domestic travel.
- Diamond Membership. This plan is for ages 75 to 84, and offers the same benefits as other plans. There are two major differences for Diamond members. First, you’ll need to fill out a health questionnaire. Second, you are limited to one transport per year.
- Short-term Membership. Individuals and families under the age of 75 can select this coverage for short vacations, such as cruises or spring break getaways. You get all the benefits of MedjetAssist plans but in periods of either 8, 15, 21, or 30 days.
- Collegiate. This annual plan is for students and academic faculty who attend or work at universities outside their home country. This plan is for people up to age 75 who will spend no more than 20 weeks abroad.
- Expatriate. Two options can cover residents of Mexico, Canada, and the U.S. who will spend extended periods outside their home country: Expat180 and Expat365. The number of each plan refers to the maximum amount of time you have coverage.
- Motorcycle. For the motorcycle enthusiast who loves taking long road trips, you can upgrade any Medjet plan except Diamond to cover the cost of transferring your bike. This upgrade covers up to $3,500 in transfer fees.
- Domestic-Only Membership. Not a fan of international travel? If you’re 75 or younger and only travel in the contiguous U.S., this discounted plan will transfer you either home or any specialty hospital you wish to go to.
As you can see, MedjetAssist has something for everyone.
There is also the MedjetHorizon plan, which combines MedjetAssist with travel security. MedjetHorizon will get you home safely in case you find yourself near political unrest, natural disasters, and a host of other situations. This membership is as close to Medjet insurance as you can get.
How much does Medjet cost?
While the specific cost of each plan varies with your unique circumstances, you can get an idea of how much each plan starts at.
Membership Plan Starts at...
Annual $295 per year
Diamond Price determined upon application
Motorcycle $35 per motorcycle per year
Domestic Only $189
Unlike insurance prices, you don’t need to speak with an agent to get an idea of what you’ll pay. You can use the Medjet cost calculator to enter the specifics of what you want in your membership, and it will give you an estimate of what it will cost.
Compare The Best Insurance Quotes In The Country
Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
As a company, Medjet has a lot of customers that paid for their product and are happy they never had to use it.
Given the nature of MedjetAssist, most customers don’t actually use the membership they paid for. However, most customers rave that the purchase process was easy, terms were simple to understand, and the customer service was exceptional.
The most cited response to MedjetAssist is that it gives travelers the sort of peace of mind that lets them enjoy their trip all the more.
Buy Medjet Memberships with Travel Insurance
Affordable Medjet memberships can get you home safely and quickly, which can be a blessing if you’ve been injured or fallen ill during a trip. When you combine it with travel insurance, you have thorough coverage you can depend on when you leave home.
If you want to see what travel insurance will cost you after you have your Medjet rates, you should shop as many companies as possible. If you want to see what quotes might look like for you, enter your ZIP code into our free tool today.