Does homeowners insurance cover the personal injury of one of the homeowners being assaulted by another of the homeowners?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked June 6, 2011

1 Answer

Homeowners insurance covers personal injury, such as a person tripping and breaking their leg or being bitten by your dog, but there are restrictions on how far the coverage will extend. If the claim is deemed to be will negligence or assault with intent, insurance probably won't pay for the injuries, or they may limit the coverage to a specific portion of the damage caused.

If one of the homeowners literally attacks another one, causing injuries, the insurance company regards the incident as an intent to cause harm and will not settle on a claim. On the other hand, if the homeowners were arguing and one of them rushes out of the house and trips over a loose brick, then the sprained ankle or broken bone will probably be covered. Keep in mind that your insurance company will review the case before agreeing to a settlement, and if there is willfull negligence or intent to cause harm found they will balk at paying the claim.

Damages caused by the children or dependents of the homeowner are covered under the homeowners policy. This might include injuries sustained by bickering siblings, or sustained by a child playing in the home or yard. On the other hand, most homeowners insurance policies will not pay for willful damage caused by a child over the age of 13. For example, if your angered teenager attacks you and causes injuries, the insurance coverage may not cover the personal injuries.

Answered June 6, 2011 by Anonymous

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption