Will my homeowners insurance protect against a broken window?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2013Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked September 9, 2013

1 Answer

Two of the purposes of a standard home insurance policy is to cover damages to your property or to the property of others. The damages to your own property must fit into a specific type of damage category, usually described as a peril, but any damages caused to someone' else's property by you or your property is covered in a standard policy. The most important question, however, might be whether filing an insurance claim is in your best interests.

If the broken window is in your home or another structure on the property, your insurance policy will pay to replace it as long as the damage was either caused by a named peril, or caused by an accident made by you or an immediate family member. If she was angry at you and threw something through the window, then it would not be covered by most policies. The difference is whether the damage was accidental or caused by malice.

As insurance companies see it, an act of malice is akin to an act of domestic terrorism. Such malicious behavior cannot be anticipated, and therefore they are not covered by insurance. Unless it can be shown that the person who caused the damage could not know they were causing the damage, the insurance company will regard intentional damages as the responsibility of the homeowner.

Most home insurance policies have a deductible that must be paid before a claim will be honored. If you have to pay such a deductible, consider whether it is better to pay for the repairs out of pocket. If the cost is less than the claim, you are doing so anyway, and if it is only a little more than your deductible, you could save the claim for when it would do you more good. Since this type of claim would be added to your CLUE report, it could save you money in the long run to go ahead and pay for minor repairs yourself.

Answered September 9, 2013 by Anonymous

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption