Im driving a friends uninsured car, what insurance should i get?

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2017Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked October 5, 2017

1 Answer

You may not be driving your own car, but you still need some kind of insurance. There is special insurance called "non-owner" insurance. This bill provides coverage for the person who is renting out or borrowing someone else's car.

In your situation, your borrowing your friend's car. This is the kind of insurance you need to get. You may get into an accident in your friend's car. This coverage will provide costs for damage that you may cause to someone else's property or the other passengers.

Here is an example:

You get into an accident driving your friend's car. Normally, your friend's insurance will pay for the costs and damages. You get into an accident that exceeds the coverage provided by your friend's insurance. Think of the non-insurance as supplemental coverage. It is going to cover what the other insurance did not.

Some good companies to choose from for this insurance are the following:

1) There is State Farm. They offer a variety of options. Each case is determined on a case-by-case estimation.

2) There is Geico. Their main clients consist of rental cars. Talk to them anyway. Explain your case. You may be able to get some good coverage from them.

3) There is Nationwide. They do have options available now.

What will it cover?

It is going to cover liability issues. It will also cover the medical aspects, especially for those who are uninsured and riding with you. Your friend probably has his or her own insurance, seeing as how it is illegal not to. Your friend will not qualify for this, but you will.

As long as you provide documentation that you are the one using the car for your own purposes and how much you use it, then you should be fine.

Talk to an agent about it first. There may be some exceptions you are not aware of.

Answered October 6, 2017 by CenterStone

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption