Meemic Insurance Review & Ratings (2022)
Meemic offers insurance exclusively to teachers and other educational workers in Georgia, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan. With a rating of A+ from the BBB and an A from A.M. Best, Meemic seems like a solid choice. However, Meemic customer service reviews are often negative, stating that the company fights against paying claims.
Free Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jun 28, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by insurance experts.
- Meemic exclusively serves teachers and other educators in Georgia, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois
- The company has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and an A from A.M. Best
- While it sells a variety of insurances, Meemic’s most popular products are home and auto
- Meemic has a low complaint score with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, but many online complaints exist regarding how the company handles claims
There are a lot of insurance companies out there, and most offer coverage to anyone, regardless of their profession. However, some companies specialize in specific industries to provide high-quality, affordable insurance rates.
Meemic is one such company. Exclusively serving teachers and educators, Meemic offers boat, home, umbrella, and car insurance. However, Meemic insurance can be hard to get — it only serves four states.
If you’re an educator and want to buy Meemic insurance, always start your quest for the best rates by shopping around. If you want to see what quotes might look like for you, enter your ZIP code into our free tool today.
What types of insurance does Meemic offer?
Meemic was founded in 1950 with the goal of serving teachers and other school staff members. Today, they offer discounts for education workers, from teachers and principals to cafeteria workers and librarians.
Today, Meemic operates in four states: Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois. While you can get boat and umbrella insurance, the main products Meemic sells are auto and homeowners insurance.
What does Meemic auto insurance cover?
Meemic offers the same standard auto insurance options you could find with most other companies. This includes:
- Liability. Liability insurance covers repair bills for the other driver when you’re responsible for an accident. Most states require a minimum amount of liability, including the four that Meemic serves.
- Comprehensive. This type of coverage protects your car from damage caused by sources other than accidents. Comprehensive covers fire, theft, animals, vandalism, and weather. If you have a car loan, you’re probably required to have comprehensive.
- Collision. Like comprehensive, you’ll need collision if you don’t own your car outright. Collision helps pay for repairs to your vehicle after you’ve been in an accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist. You can’t trust that every driver on the road has insurance. If you buy this coverage, you’ll be protected against drivers with inadequate insurance.
Uninsured/underinsured motorist is required by law in Illinois. You can only purchase it in the other three states that Meemic serves if you skip collision coverage. You have easy access to your policy information and the claims process by using the Meemic auto insurance login.
What does Meemic home insurance cover?
Similar to its car insurance, Meemic offers educators exceptional homeowners insurance. They provide the same home insurance options you would expect to find in more prominent companies.
- Dwelling. This protects the physical structure of your home and other structures like fences and garages.
- Personal possessions. Meemic will pay to have your belongings replaced, including furniture, appliances, and clothing.
- Liability. If someone is injured on your property, they can sue you if you’re responsible. Liability helps pay for your legal fees in court.
On top of the standard insurance, you can also buy additional coverage to add to your home insurance policy. These add-ons include:
- Guaranteed home replacement cost coverage
- Computer and electronic coverage
- Extended coverage for jewelry and silverware
- Scheduled personal property, which gives you extended coverage for high-value items that have been appraised
- Sewer and sump pump backup coverage
- Functional replacement cost for home built before 1940
- Snowmobile coverage
Getting extra coverage is highly recommended, as long as you need it. However, you should avoid getting coverage you don’t need because your bill will grow quickly the more things you add.
On top of these options, Meemic also offers renters, condo, mobile home, and flood insurance. If you’re interested in adding these to your policy, you can start by using the Meemic login and getting a quote.
Compare The Best Insurance Quotes In The Country
Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
What do Meemic rates look like?
Meemic is tight-lipped with their rates online. However, you can get an idea of what you might pay by looking at average prices in the four states Meemic operates in.
State Average monthly cost of minimum coverage Average monthly cost of full coverage
Georgia $59 $134
Illinois $59 $145
Wisconsin $33 $97
Michigan $365 $596
Meemic promises a discount on insurance for educators, so it’s not unreasonable to think you can get cheaper rates. The same applies to homeowners insurance.
State Average annual price Average monthly fee
Georgia $1,376 $115
Illinois $1,322 $110
Wisconsin $986 $82
Michigan $1,120 $93
While Meemic doesn’t post information about its prices, they do list the discounts they offer. These discounts apply to your insurance rate after you’ve received Meemic’s lower prices for educators.
- Paid-in-full. If you pay your annual bill in one installment rather than making monthly payments, you’ll save money.
- Bundling. Earn this discount by buying home and car insurance from Meemic.
- Anti-theft device. You save money on your bill if your vehicle has anti-theft devices installed, like GPS tracking, brake locks, and audible alarms.
- Loss Prevention. Similar to the anti-theft discount, safety features in your home could save you money. Approved features include alarm systems, smoke detectors, deadbolts, and fire extinguishers.
- Educated Choice Repair Program. Meemic has a repair program with a network of mechanics. If you choose one for your vehicle, you’ll get guaranteed repairs.
- New home. Meemic offers a discount for houses nine years old or younger.
- Senior. Meemic offers a discount for any customer over the age of 55.
Meemic states on its website that they offer further discounts for educators based on the state you live in.
Meemic Insurance Reviews
As a smaller company, reviews for Meemic are more sparse than they are for larger companies. Online reviews tend to be mixed – some people love it, others don’t recommend them.
Meemic is big enough to have some professional ratings. It is not an accredited company, but the Better Business Bureau gives Meemic an A+. Meemic was also recently upgraded from an A- to an A rating with A.M. Best for financial security.
The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) keeps a score of customer experiences for insurance providers. Meemic customer service scored well in the NAIC index with a .86.
To compare, the national average is 1.0. This means that Meemic receives fewer complaints than the average company.
Unfortunately, that’s where the good news ends. Meemic doesn’t have too many written reviews discussing their service. The ones they do have paint a disheartening picture.
Most customers give Meemic the lowest rating they can, stating that they fight tooth and nail to avoid paying claims. Customers are often confused about what their policy does and does not cover. They often find themselves left to pay out-of-pocket for damages they thought were covered.
Finally, most people accept that their insurance rates will occasionally go up over time. However, Meemic seems to raise rates by large amounts without explanation. Some customers are frustrated that their once-affordable Meemic insurance becomes too expensive overnight.
Find the Best Insurance for Teachers
Meemic strives to give teachers and other educational workers affordable insurance despite some negative reviews. If you live in Georgia, Illinois, Michigan, or Wisconsin, Meemic might have the best insurance products for you.
If you want to see what Meemic quotes might look like for you, you should still shop around to save the most money possible. If you’re ready to see what quotes might look like for you, enter your ZIP code into our free tool today.