Nationwide Home Insurance Company Review (2022)
Nationwide home insurance provides standard coverage for homes, including dwelling coverage, liability protection, and personal possession replacement. You can also select from a long list of add-ons for your policy, including earthquake and flood insurance, extended valuables reimbursement plans, and identity theft protection. With an A+ from both A.M. Best and the Better Business Bureau, Nationwide insurance is an excellent option for homeowners.
Free Insurance Comparison
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jun 28, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by insurance experts.
- Nationwide earns an A+ from A.M. Best and the Better Business Bureau
- You can purchase home coverage for traditional houses and condos, but not mobile homes
- Available add-ons includes additional possessions reimbursement, roof material upgrades, and extended replacement cost in case your home is damaged in a disaster
As with many other insurance companies, the founders of Nationwide wanted to provide affordable insurance for farmers. Since its small beginning in 1926, Nationwide has become a trusted name in the insurance industry.
Nationwide offers a variety of products including homeowners, car, and life insurance. It also offers financial producst like mortgages, pensions, and long-term savings plans. With over $274 billion in assets, Nationwide is one of the biggest insurance companies in America.
If you need home insurance, Nationwide might be the right choice for you. With low rates, lots of add-ons, and discounts for new homes, you should consider Nationwide in your search for home coverage.
To find out if Nationwide home insurance rates are right for you, you should shop around as many companies as possible. Enter your ZIP code into our free tool if you’d like to see what quotes might look like for you.
What is Nationwide home insurance?
Nationwide insurance is fairly standard when compared to its competitors. Unlike its name suggests, Nationwide offers home insurance in 44 states. With its online app, it’s easy to get a quote and manage your policy.
Nationwide’s home insurance covers your home from damage caused by theft, vandalism, fire, and weather. The standard policy also comes with coverage for your personal belongings, including your furniture, clothing, and appliances.
You can also get insurance for other structures on your property, like sheds, fences, and free-standing garages. If you purchase loss-of-use coverage, Nationwide will help pay for the cost of temporary lodging if your home becomes unlivable.
Finally, liability coverage protects you from being sued if a visitor is injured on your property. You could be responsible for any medical bill incurred in your home if the injury in question is your fault. However, liability helps cover medical payments and legal fees.
One thing to keep in mind is that Nationwide doesn’t offer home insurance for mobile homes. However, you can buy renters insurance and condo coverage.
Compare The Best Insurance Quotes In The Country
Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
How much does Nationwide home insurance cost?
Nationwide’s home insurance is a little cheaper than the national average, but not by much. While there are more affordable options, Nationwide might still be the best option for you.
Company Average monthly price
State Farm $144
This is the average price of insurance – if you purchase additional add-ons, your bill will be higher. Nationwide has the following options you can buy for your policy:
- Earthquake. If you live in an area prone to earthquakes, you should seriously consider additional protection against earthquake damage.
- Flood. Similar to earthquake insurance, you can purchase more coverage if you live in a floodplain.
- Better roof replacement. If your roof is damaged and you have this add-on, Nationwide will pay for stronger materials in its reconstruction.
- Valuables Plus. While a standard policy will cover normal household furnishings, you can buy additional coverage for high-value items like jewelry, art, musical instruments.
- Extended replacement cost. This gives you 20% more coverage if your home is damaged in a natural disaster and repairs cost more than expected.
- Identity theft. Nationwide has a program that monitors your data and helps resolve any issues with the theft of your identity.
- Water backup. This coverage provides additional protection in case a sump pump overflows or a drain backs up.
- New belongings. A standard policy will pay for the depreciated value of your items. If you buy this add-on, Nationwide will replace the item with a brand-new one instead.
As far as insurance companies go, customers appreciate how many options Nationwide offers to personalize a policy, as well as how many available discounts there are.
Nationwide Home Insurance Discounts
Like most insurance companies, Nationwide has a list of discounts to help make your coverage costs a little less. The number of discounts available to you depends on the state you live in, so be sure to check with an agent before you buy a policy.
- Bundling. If you buy both your home and auto insurance from Nationwide, you can earn a bundling discount.
- Claims-free. As long as you haven’t made a claim on your insurance, you might be eligible for additional savings.
- Prior insurance. If you’re a new Nationwide customer, you might be eligible to save more depending on how long your last policy lasted.
- Protective device. Earn this discount by installing fire and burglar alarms in your home.
- Home purchase. This is for new homeowners who’ve purchased the home within the last 12 months.
- Gated community. If your home is in a gated community where locks or guards protect all entrances, you can save money.
- Roof rating. You might be eligible if you have a newer roof or an approved type of material.
- Home renovation credits. Nationwide has a list of improvements you can make to your home’s electrical or heating and cooling systems that you can do to improve your home’s value. If you do, you might get a discount.
If you decide to buy Nationwide home insurance, an agent will make sure you get every discount you are eligible for.
Nationwide Home Insurance Reviews
As one of the largest insurance providers in the nation, Nationwide generally receives good reviews. For starters, A.M. Best gives the company an A+ for its financial strength. The Better Business Bureau also gives it an A+.
In general, Nationwide receives fewer complaints than the national average for a company of its size. Customers enjoy flexible policies, affordable prices, and lots of add-on options.
Nationwide released the first mobile app for insurance needs. Customers enjoy easy access to their policies, but you can also use the Nationwide home insurance login to access the website. You’ll find the same information online as you would in the app.
However, the mobile app isn’t suited for home insurance as well as it is for car insurance. You’ll probably need to access the website for detailed information about your policy.
Of course, if you prefer a more traditional approach, you can always call the Nationwide home insurance phone number and speak with an agent.
Customer interactions are the one area that Nationwide doesn’t excel in – many customer complaints involve how agents treated them over the phone.
Find the Right Home Insurance for You
Nationwide is a respectable company that has grown from a small farming insurance company to one of the largest insurance providers in the country. Millions of Americans rely on Nationwide to protect one of the most valuable assets a person can have – their home.
If you’re ready to see affordable Nationwide home insurance quotes, you should still try to compare rates with as many companies as possible to get the best price. If you’re ready to see what quotes might look like for you, enter your ZIP code into our free tool today.