Bear River Mutual Insurance Review & Ratings (2023)
Bear River Mutual has been serving the residents of Utah with insurance products ranging from car insurance to homeowners and renters. The company has cheaper insurance rates but more customer complaints. With an A- from both the BBB and A.M. Best, it's a great option for drivers with an excellent driving history.
Free Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
UPDATED: Jun 28, 2022
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by insurance experts.
- Bear River Mutual offers car, homeowners, dwelling, rental, and umbrella insurance to residents of Utah
- Rates tend to be cheaper, but Bear River Mutual only writes policies for drivers with excellent driving histories
- Reviews tend to be split, with some customers saying they will stick with Bear River Mutual for life and others saying the company is terrible
Headquartered in Murray, Bear River Mutual Insurance has served Utah residents since 1909 and is one of the state’s oldest sources of local insurance.
As a mutual company, policyholders own the company and can usually expect lower rates compared to other insurers. Despite the affordability, Bear River is plagued by unfavorable customer reviews.
It can also be difficult to get car insurance through Bear River since the company only take on clients with exceptional driving histories. While this excludes many potential customers, it keeps the price of insurance down.
If you want to buy Bear River Mutual insurance, exploring your options will get you the best rates and save you money. Enter your ZIP code into our free tool to see what quotes might look like for you.
Bear River Mutual Insurance Products
The main product that Bear River Mutual company sells is car insurance, but it also writes policies for other types of insurance.
For car insurance, Bear River Mutual offers relatively standard options:
- Liability – Liability covers damage you cause to other people or vehicles in an accident that you are at fault for. Every state except New Hampshire has a minimum liability coverage amount to drive legally.
- Collision – This coverage protects your car against damage caused by accidents with other vehicles.
- Comprehensive – This covers the cost of damage from other sources outside of collisions, like theft, vandalism, weather, animal collisions, or falling objects.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist – If someone with inadequate insurance hits you, this will cover the cost of your repairs.
- Personal injury protection – This helps with the cost of your medical bills and lost wages if you’re injured in an accident.
- Rental car insurance – When your car needs repairs, this covers the cost of your rental until your vehicle is fixed.
- Roadside assistance – If you ever find yourself stranded on the side of the road, this helps cover the cost of things like a tow truck, gas delivery, and lockouts.
Both roadside assistance and rental car reimbursements are optional add-ons you can purchase for your standard policy.
Other Types of Insurance from Bear River Mutual
You can get most of your insurance needs met through Bear River Mutual. As far as selection goes, the list is standard compared to its competitors:
- Umbrella – Umbrella is a great option to protect you from lawsuits involving your assets. Typically, umbrella insurance helps cover legal costs if someone is injured in your home and they sue. Bear River Mutual sells policies with either $1 or $2 million limits.
- Home or condo – Because Bear River Mutual only sells in Utah, it doesn’t offer special coverage for extreme weather like hurricanes, tornadoes, or other natural disasters. This helps keep the cost of homeowners insurance down.
- Renters – Renters insurance is an excellent (and sometimes required) option for people who rent their homes. This coverage protects your personal belongings in case the building you rent is damaged.
- Dwelling – While similar to home insurance, dwelling is meant for people with rental properties. Bear River Mutual can cover rental homes, apartment buildings, duplexes, and fourplexes.
Bear River Mutual also offers special policies for motor homes, RVs, and trailers.
Compare The Best Insurance Quotes In The Country
Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Bear River Mutual Ratings
As with most smaller companies, Bear River Mutual doesn’t stand up to the major insurance companies in America. If you want the best possible professional ratings, it might be best to look elsewhere.
The Better Business Bureau grants Bear River Mutual an A- and it has one out of five stars for the few reviews on the site.
A.M. Best has recently downgraded Bear River Mutual’s financial strength rating to an A-. According to A.M. Best, turning a profit has been a struggle for Bear River since 2015.
In general, customers tend to either love or hate the company. Some customers stay for life, citing a strong sense of family. Others are less pleased with Bear River Mutual’s customer service.
The claims process tends to be the source of most complaints. This includes customer confusion about proceeding with their claim, rude assessor interactions, and policies being dropped without notice after a customer’s first claim.
On the positive side, customers like QuickPay, Bear River Mutual’s online portal. QuickPay makes paying your bill convenient and straightforward. Additionally, you can use your Bear River insurance login to access your policy and start the claims process.
How much are Bear River Mutual Rates?
Unlike most mutual companies, Bear River has kept its traditional business approach. Policyholders pay into a pool from which claims are paid. This is why Bear River Mutual only insures people with excellent driving records.
As a small company, Bear River Mutual quotes are hard to estimate without starting the online process. However, customers agree that insurance with this company is about 15% cheaper than with other companies.
Additionally, Bear River Mutual offers discounts to help lower the cost of your insurance even further:
- Multi-car – You might qualify for this discount if you insure multiple vehicles through Bear River Mutual. The cars can belong to you or to anyone in your household.
- Higher deductible – One of the pros of Bear River Mutual is that you can choose your deductible. If you choose a $1,000 or higher deductible, you’ll receive additional savings.
- Bundling – Since Bear River Mutual offers multiple types of insurances, you can get a discount if you buy two or more policies.
- Safe Driving – Bear River Mutual considers the last three to seven years of your driving record. If you have no incidents, you can receive this discount. Utah keeps DUIs on your record for 10 years, however, which would make you ineligible.
- Bear Care Direct Repair (DRP) – If you need car repairs and take your car to a mechanic who participates in the DRP, you’ll get extra savings. As an added benefit, Bear River Mutual guarantees the work done by these repair shops.
Bear River Mutual says that additional discounts are available, but you’ll need to speak with an agent to find out what they are. If you decide that this company is the right one for you, your agent will help you get every discount possible.
Get Affordable Insurance with Bear River Mutual
If you live in Utah and you have a clean driving record, Bear River Insurance might be the best option for you. With a reputation for committing to its traditions and low insurance rates, Bear River Mutual has many customers that stay for life.
If you’re looking for affordable Bear River Mutual quotes, you should consider comparing them to other companies. If you’re ready to see what quotes might look like for you, enter your ZIP code into our free tool today.