Can i include my sibling who lives outside the U. S. as beneficiary?

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Jul 17, 2018Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked July 17, 2018

1 Answer

Yes, you can include a foreign national as a beneficiary on your life insurance policy. Be sure to include as much contact information as possible on your policy as contacting someone outside of the United States could be difficult. Try to include all of the below information for your sibling.

  • Full legal first and last name
  • Their Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number, if they have one
  • Address
  • Phone Number
  • Benefit percentage – this is used if you want to have several beneficiaries. For example, you have two sisters, and you want each one of them to receive 50% of your death benefit.

Another thing to keep in mind is the difficulty for your sibling to contact the correct company in the event of your death, so be sure to provide all of the information below to your beneficiary to make the process smoother for them.

  • Life insurance company name and phone number
  • Policy Number
  • The phone number of the agent on record
  • Death benefit amount
  • The names of any other beneficiaries you may have. All of the beneficiaries need to be included during the death claim in order for the insurance company to pay the benefits.

A final thing to consider is the tax code for the county that the beneficiary lives in. Consult with an international tax attorney to determine whether there will be any tax issues for them.

Answered July 18, 2018 by larson82

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption