My daughter went away for college and is no longer considered a dependent. Should I buy an insurance policy to protect her belongings?

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Feb 11, 2013Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked February 11, 2013

1 Answer

If your child is no longer a dependent, most insurance companies are going to insist on writing a separate policy to cover their personal property. For dependent, full time students, a homeowner's policy would extend coverage for them, but this is not the case once that child is out on their own.

Typically, homeowners insurance will cover your dependent children's property in a college dorm. If the child lives off-campus, then she would need to get renters insurance quotes. Insurance companies view a college dorm as being low risk as well as promoting low risk behavior, while a college student who lives off campus may be a higher risk neighborhood or enjoy partying and other behavior that increases the risk to insurers.

Another suggestion is to look at the coverage for things such as a laptop computer. Some homeowner's policies have strict limitations on the value of personal property they cover away from the home. If your policy has such restrictions, it may make senses to purchase a rider policy to increase coverage for your student who attends full time courses and lives in a dorm. If she stays off-campus, adding the rider to her renter's policy may still be a low-cost way to make sure her more expensive possessions are protected.

No matter what type of insurance you are talking about, health, home, or car, your insurance company is going to draw the line at coverage when they "leave the nest." They can stay on your insurance until they turn 26 as long as they are your dependents, but must get their own coverage when they become emancipated and are responsible for paying their own bills.

Answered February 11, 2013 by Anonymous

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption