Do both parties on the mortgage need to be on the insurance?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

A party receives the house in divorce but never refinanced to get the other name off. The party who has the house was behind a considerable amount on on mortgage payments and was able to modify the mortgage based on the divorce creating a financial hardship. So both names are still on the original mortgage, but only one name is on the modification. Must both names on the mortgage be on the property insurance? Could the party who modified the loan under the one name list the insurance only under their name and remove the party who was not awarded the house in the divorce?”

Asked April 26, 2017

2 Answers

The party that received the house in the divorce need only put Himself or Herself on the Homeowners Insurance Policy.

Answered May 8, 2017 by hallencu

A person who is divorced and does not receive the marital home in the settlement should continue to carry homeowners insurance on the home and property. Even though this person is no longer responsible for this specific home, their name is still on the original loan that is currently effective. If the party that does not receive the home, yet has their name on the loan still is liable financially for any damage to the home. The homeowners insurance will financially cover the home and property from damages such as theft, natural disasters, fire, water damage, and much more. All of the criteria will be outlined in the contract. If the party on the loan does not have homeowners insurance and something does happen to the home, the person will be held accountable to pay for all the repairs.

The homeowner insurance company will be able to outline the specific level of coverage needed for the party not receiving the marital home, but is still on the home loan.

Answered May 2, 2017 by teddyx

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption