does insurance cover a home that’s sinking on its slab?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2019Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked March 12, 2019

1 Answer

Generally, the answer is no. Most policies offered by insurers exclude coverage for foundation-based issues. In the event of a foundation cracking or a house beginning to sinking a homeowner is on their own. This is not always the case as some insurers do offer that type of coverage but it is a rarity. It also has to do with the area. If you live in an area where such a hazard is common it may be written into the policy. Once again this is a rarity.

In most cases coverage for foundation-related issues is extra. It is an addition you can add to your base policy not unlike flood or fire coverage. Most often it is bundled with these two as a buyer's incentive. If you happen to have purchased additional coverage for flood or fire you may want to look at your policy. You may very well be covered in this circumstance. This is not the only loophole available however.

The first thing you need to ascertain is what is causing your slab to sink. If a hoe foundation is damaged due to another incident occurring within the home it will be covered. So if you have a major plumbing issue that ends up causing your foundation to subside it will be covered. So find out if your specific problem is linking to something your base policy would normally cover. If it is than coverage will be doctored in as it is the result of adjacent damage. Also, be sure to take a good look at your policy as you may be a rare case that has this coverage already present.

Answered March 14, 2019 by jamesjones

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption