My driving record is clean, but my husband has a DUI and suspended license. How can we get car insurance?

UPDATED: May 14, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: May 14, 2015Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked May 14, 2015

1 Answer

When your husband or wife gets a DUI, most states will suspend their driving privilege for a period of time, usually dependent on other conditions of sentencing. Unfortunately, every DUI causes an increase in risk for insurance companies, and too many such convictions will cause conventional insurers to deny coverage at all. Your choices then will be to exclude your spouse from coverage, or purchase insurance from a high risk insurer.

You can choose to exclude your spouse from coverage, or, in the case of a suspended license, the option is removed for you. Since your spouse is not legally allowed to drive without a driver’s license, insurance companies will not include them in coverages they write for your cars. Instead, a specific exclusion will be written into the policy that voids any claims made while your spouse is operating the vehicle.

In some cases, the court will demand that your spouse be covered by insurance regardless of whether they can operate a vehicle. This does not usually apply to the actual car insurance, but to a special type of surety bond, an SR-22 Certificate of Financial Responsibility. If your spouse has to carry this or other insurance, your only option may be a company which underwrites high risk insurance policies. You will have to pay quite a bit more for the coverage, because your spouse is considered such a high risk.

If you are shopping for car insurance, the best place to start is online. Because of the nature of Internet, finding a company to underwrite your policy may be as simple as getting a free online high risk auto insurance quote from this website. Since this site operates as an independent agent, it can provide you with quotes from multiple companies to help you get the best price possible. Another advantage to buying insurance online is that you can get the coverage instantly, print your insurance cards on your home computer, and use the car immediately.

Answered May 18, 2015 by Anonymous

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption