I have the truck financed, mother in law wanted to pay and drive and has insurance on it so it that legal?
Free Insurance Comparison
Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save
Secured with SHA-256 Encryption
Asked April 12, 2017
Whether or not it is legal for your mother-in-law to drive your financed truck if she has insurance on it will depend on several factors, including the terms of your auto insurance policy and any agreements you have with your lender. Here are some things to consider:
- Auto insurance policy: If your mother-in-law has insurance that includes coverage for non-owned vehicles, she may be covered when driving your truck. However, it's important to check the terms of your auto insurance policy to ensure that the coverage extends to other drivers. Some policies may only cover drivers who are listed on the policy or who have explicit permission to drive the vehicle.
- Financing agreement: If you have a financing agreement for your truck, you may be required to have certain insurance coverage in place. This may include collision and comprehensive coverage, which typically covers damage to the vehicle in the event of theft or other covered perils. If your mother-in-law is driving the vehicle and causes an accident, your insurance company may not cover the damages if the policy requires the listed owner to be driving the vehicle.
- Permission to drive: Even if your mother-in-law has insurance that covers her when driving your truck, it's important to make sure that you have given her permission to drive the vehicle. If she does not have permission, and is involved in an accident, it may not be covered by insurance.
- Liability coverage: It's also important to consider liability coverage. Liability coverage typically covers damages that you may be responsible for if you cause an accident. If your mother-in-law is involved in an accident while driving your truck, you could be held liable for any damages or injuries. It's important to make sure that you have adequate liability coverage in place.
- Legal advice: If you have questions about whether or not it is legal for your mother-in-law to drive your financed truck, it may be helpful to seek the advice of an attorney. They can review the specific circumstances and provide guidance on how to proceed.
Answered April 12, 2017 by JoshB