How can I get insurance for house that is deeded to my deceased father?

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Apr 3, 2018Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father dies and no one is on the deed but him but ive been living in the house for 30 years and Im his daughter. How can i get house insurance?

Asked April 3, 2018

1 Answer

It's important that you establish yourself as owner of the property before you attempt to buy homeowner's insurance since ownership and occupancy factor into insurance underwriting decisions. You should speak with an estate lawyer about your unique situation. Even though your father didn't name you or anyone else on the deed, you haven't stated whether he named you as the inheritor of his estate in his will.

In Pennsylvania, a person who dies without a will or without naming successors creates a situation known as "intestate succession." The Commonwealth then typically divides the property up between the closest family members, such as a spouse, children and grandchildren. If there are no immediate family members, the state moves on to the decedent's parents, siblings and their children or grandchildren, grandparents, uncles and aunts and their direct descendants in that order. If other members of your family, specifically any siblings, have a valid claim to the property, you might not even be able to continue to live in your home if they have a greater or equal claim and decide that they want to live there or sell it. The fact that you have lived on-site for 30 years does work in your favor as long as you can prove that you lived with your father for that period of time. Your occupation of the home might establish that you have been your father's closest child and his rightful heir.

If your father owed any back taxes or had certain types of outstanding debts, the state might sell the property to pay those off and then merely give you the remainder of the money from the sale. The best way to understand your rights is again to contact an estate lawyer located in your region. Estate lawyers often deal with these types of problems. A financial investment today in hiring an estate lawyer can quickly help relieve the stress associated with determining property ownership. Estate lawyers also often deal with insurance questions and can typically point you in the right direction once the legal ownership matter is resolved. Once you're the owner of the property, you should be able to shop around for homeowner's insurance without any difficulties in the same way as other homeowners who have bought their homes instead of inheriting them.

Answered April 5, 2018 by bestrates

Related Links

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption