is it legal to put my name and daughters name on title and registration if we live at different addressess

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked May 17, 2016

1 Answer

Yes, it's legal to add multiple names to your title and registration in the state of Pennsylvania. The process will be just as if you're purchasing your vehicle for the first time. You'll need to fill out only one application for registration and certificate of title. If you already own the vehicle, you'll need a form called Request for Report of Sale/Transfer of Non-Titled Motor Vehicle." You must release ownership as if you've sold the vehicle, then add the names you want on the title in the "Transfer of Title" section. Don't sign anything until you're at the DMV.

How you list your names of ownership is important to consider. If you write the word "and" between your names, then both owners are required to sign off and transfer the title when the vehicle is sold later on. If you use the word "or" between your names, then only one signature is required.

To avoid mistakes and unnecessary running around, you and your daughter must go together to the Department of Motor Vehicles to apply for your name change on your title. There will be one fee to process your application. Take your proof of insurance, your driver's licenses and addresses with you.

You can even have titles sent to both addresses. Your DMV office will require you to have your paperwork notarized. The Notary Public charges a small fee. If you still have a loan on your vehicle talk with your lender. Adding her name to the title may change the terms of your loan. Call your insurance company and add your daughter's name to your policy before going to the DMV.""

Answered May 19, 2016 by bestrates

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption