In Minnesota,what insurance needed if car for sale parked not driven on street,on driveway,in garage?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2018Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked October 2, 2018

1 Answer

In Minnesota, a driver must maintain at least the minimum automobile insurance coverage required by law, which is Personal Injury Protection or PIP, Liability, Uninsured and Underinsured coverage, even if the driver isn't currently using their vehicle for some reason. For example, another driver might collide their vehicle into your parked car and cause significant damage. Your minimum insurance coverage can help you pay for repairs in instances when the other driver is underinsured or uninsured entirely. It's important to remember that the law also outlines that a Minnesota driver must maintain the minimum insurance coverage on their vehicle because they might drive it suddenly in the future. For example, you might decide to drive your uninsured vehicle during a serious emergency. Additionally, you might decide to drive it on public roads to meet with a buyer or permit a buyer to test drive it. As a result, if you are merely contemplating driving your parked vehicle, you must have the minimum level of insurance.

Lastly, on January 1, 2016, the state required that all Minnesota drivers who plan to sell a car must show proof of auto insurance coverage at the point of sale. Another law became necessary because almost 11 percent of drivers in the state drove uninsured vehicles before the law went into effect. Part of this new rule was designed specifically to reduce the potential of vehicle owners driving without insurance before or during the process of selling their vehicles.

You must present proof of an up-to-date, current automobile insurance policy for your vehicle when you transfer the vehicle's title over to the new owner at a Minnesota Driver and Vehicle Services deputy registrar's location. What information do you need to present? You must provide documentation that shows the auto insurer's name, your policy's number and the date when the policy is set to expire.

Answered October 4, 2018 by jamesjones

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption