If mother is only one on the title do you add yourself to moms insurance or must have own insurance?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2020Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

It isn’t clear to me if parents and offspring are in the house why two insurance policies would be needed. If mom is buying a car for son. Then maybe put son on mom’s insurance as well as the car and everyone is listed as drivers or is this legal in Texas. Assuming that mother and son are both old enough to have their own insurance.”

Asked December 2, 2015

1 Answer

Your thoughts on the subject are absolutely correct. In the state of Texas, it is best to add a young driver to his or her parent's policy if the child still lives at home. Insurance rates tend to be considerably higher for teenagers, so it can help offset the teen's premium if there is a more seasoned driver on the policy.

Because the vehicle is titled to your mother, she will be responsible for carrying insurance on the car. A person cannot take out an insurance policy on a vehicle that is not titled to them. Since this would cause a claim to be paid out to the policyholder and not the vehicle owner, this type of situation is considered insurance fraud. Therefore, the current circumstances will not permit you to have your own standard auto insurance policy. Before you can take out your own policy, the title would need to be transferred to you. However, if you are currently under eighteen years of age, this may not be possible.

Should you be moving out of the household in the not too distant future, it may be a good idea to have your name listed on the title in addition to your mother's name. This way the car will be titled to both of you. Once you have moved out on your own, you can acquire your own policy without the hassle of transferring the title.

In the first part of your question, you asked if you can add yourself to mom's insurance." While she can add you to her policy, it isn't possible--or legal-- to add yourself to someone else's policy without their express permission. Your mom's insurance agent may be willing to oblige, but they will most likely require at least a phone call to your mother in order to obtain her authorization to add you and the new vehicle to her existing policy.

There are a few unusual scenarios that would necessitate having a young driver on a separate policy from the parent. For instance, sometimes it actually is cheaper for a young driver to be on their own policy as opposed to being listed on a parent's policy. Typical reasons for this include: several prior claims on the parent's policy, multiple tickets on the young driver's record, or the existence of luxury vehicles on the parent's insurance. Alternatively, if a parent only has a commercial auto policy because their own vehicle is primarily used for business, it may be necessary to take out a new standard auto policy for their child.

In the event that any of the above situations apply to you, it will be necessary to transfer the title to your name so that you can take out your own insurance. However, without extenuating circumstances, you and your new car should definitely be listed on your mother's policy.""

Answered December 3, 2015 by TreyFevaa

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption