2 names on a title but only one drives vechicle do they have to be on the policy to get insurance

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2015Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked September 22, 2015

1 Answer

Insurance policies can be difficult to understand, especially in the State of Mississippi. When two people, or a couple, buy a car, they have the option to put both names on the title. When going to get an insurance policy, it is only required that one party be listed on the insurance application, or the person who is going to be driving the car.

Most insurance companies will ask who is going to be driving the car. Most insurance companies will put a primary driver and then any additional cars will have a secondary driver. If a person is just buying a car with another party, like a cosigner deal, you don't have to list them on the insurance policy. Keep in mind though, the insurance company will ask who the vehicle's name is listed in.

While the state doesn't require both names to be on the policy, some insurance companies have their own rules to protect themselves. That means that while the state may not require the listing of both names on the policy, the insurance company might. Generally speaking, there is no requirement to have all listed on the title listed on the insurance policy.

Mississippi is a fairly easy state when it comes to regulations about insurance and coverage. Their language is straight forward. Anyone who is going to be driving the vehicle will need to be listed as a part-time driver, even if they are only going to drive on the occasion. However, in this instance the other person won't be driving and there is no need to pay extra to insure another party.

Answered September 24, 2015 by Mark

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption