Do I need to tell my homeowners insurance company before renting out my home?

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Mar 13, 2012Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked March 13, 2012

1 Answer

If you decide to rent out your house, it changes the risks associated with insuring the house. Because of those changes, it is important that you let the insurance company know that you plan to rent out the home in order to secure the right types of coverage. You will also need to notify your mortgage lender, as a rental property changes the risks associated with the mortgage change just as it does with your homeowners insurance needs.

A standard homeowners policy includes coverages you do not need for a rental property. One of the most obvious examples is that personal property coverage in a home insurance policy does not cover tenant property. You are still responsible for the home and structures, including damages to the home or liability for damages caused by the home or other items on your property. The tenant, though, is responsible for securing their own personal property, usually through a renters insurance policy.

The good news is that when you rent out property, the cost of insuring the property is lower. Instead of carrying a full homeowners policy, you are only required to have landlord insurance to cover the liability and structures. Basically, you are responsible for maintaining the property, but the tenant is responsible for anything that belongs to them, including liability damages or injuries that are not directly the fault of the home or other items on your property, such as a tree falling on someone's car.

Remember, though, that if you have a mortgage on the property you are renting, your mortgage company must be notified of your intent to lease the property. And because the mortgage company has an insurable interest in the home, it is possible that your mortgage company will still require you to carry complete homeowners insurance, in spite of the fact that you are not a resident on the insured property.

Answered March 13, 2012 by Anonymous

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption