what info is needed for a dependent of a military service usaa member have to have to set up there own insurance?

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Mar 25, 2019Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked March 25, 2019

1 Answer

A dependent can join USAA and get insurance if an eligible family member, such as his or her parent, step-parent or legal guardian was or is a USAA member. Please note: a parent or guardian with US military service is not enough to qualify the dependent for USAA Insurance. The parent, step-parent or legal guardian had to have been a USAA member at some point during his or her lifetime. If a living parent had served in the military but was never a USAA member, they could still join USAA now. The dependent would become eligible after the parent joins.

You can register for USAA membership on the USAA website. During the registration process, you will need to be able to provide the following information about yourself: name, date of birth, email address, phone number, social security number, marital status, and mailing address.

You will also have to provide information on who in your family had US Military Service. Choose the “Parents” option for either parent, step-parent or legal guardian. You will need to provide the member's name and date of birth. Your eligibility can be verified online if you can provide your parent's social security number or USAA Membership number. If your parent was a USAA member but you do not have the social security number or USAA membership number for them, you can call USAA at 800-531-USAA (8722). They may be able to help track down the parent's membership information for you.

Answered March 26, 2019 by InsuranceStar

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption