I served in the national guard but may records were distroyed in a warehouse fire. am I eligible for USAA?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.

Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single insurance company.

Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different insurance companies please enter your ZIP code above to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2018Fact Checked

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Asked August 20, 2018

1 Answer

The United States Auto Association accepts prior service members as long as they received an honorable discharge. You can find more details about who USAA accepts via USAA's Membership Eligibility blog post. That said, you are correct in believing that you must have a record of military service as proof. A list of proof documents is available on the USAA Military Service Verification page. The usual verification for discharged personnel is an original discharge certificate or copy.

Records of the National Guard are not maintained in a single warehouse. Even if local records have been destroyed by a fire, states and the government maintain back up copies of most records, including service records. These records are maintained for a variety of reasons, including to establish veteran-related and other benefits for former National Guard service men and women. To find more information about Service Records, check out the National Archives' Locations of Service Records page. USAA again accepts your original discharge certificate as proof of your National Guard service. If you've lost that documentation, you can request a copy of the separation report via the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty Form or DD Form 214. You simply need to follow the instructions on the National Archives' Request Your Military Service Records page. It's important to note that many discharged service members become adversely impacted by fires on the West Coast and other types of natural disasters. If this has happened to you, please review the Natural Disaster Requests section on the right side of the page for instructions on how to expedite your request.

Once you have proof of your service, you merely need to follow the steps on the Join USAA page to submit your application. You can also make your request for USAA services by speaking to a USAA representative via phone. The most current phone number is available on the USAA Contact Us page.

Answered August 21, 2018 by fl_pc

Free Insurance Comparison

Compare quotes from the top insurance companies and save!

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption